Friday, August 26, 2011

Survival of the fittest or survival of the biggest?

Ok, so I wrote this a week or more ago and then just never posted it...

So, today's random thought...  "I killed a spider today."
You wouldn't think this would start a whole random thought process, but with me...  Anything's possible!
At work today I was walking around the "warehouse" and I saw a black spider, belly up, black widow.  I don't know if all black widow's are female and I certain wasn't about to find out if it was a boy or a girl, but I referred to "it" as "her."  Talking to my brother on the phone I asked if he thought I should kill it or just let it on it's merry way?  He advised killing it might be the best idea since I bring my daughter into the shop and it isn't far from my office to the "warehouse."  BLECH!  I dislike killing spiders.  You just never know what they will do!  Curl into a ball and "roll" off somewhere...  Scurry to another, more difficult-to-kill location...  BLECH!!!  So, I grab the spray bottle of window cleaner and standing a few feet away (Bro is telling me over the phone that widows are a bit unpredictable, and slightly aggressive and may try to jump at me) I spray the be-Jesus out of that thing!  Let me tell you that spidey pitched a bit of a fit!  Up and down on it's web, onto the floor, came in my direction a bit and then opted for the nearest box.  It DID NOT try to scurry under the box however, she vigorously started climbing to the top of the box!  Now, I had put a good dozen sprays on this bitty girl, I finally took off my shoe and ended her (our) misery.  Of course, you NEVER only shoot a thing once if you want to make sure it's dead, so although she was pretty squished after the first smash-a-roo, I went ahead and slammed the shoe against the floor to make sure she was "good" and dead.  Of course, then I had to wipe the dead carcass and yucky spider goo onto a nearby wooden pallet...
Then comes the thoughts...  Poor spider, never really did anything to me, I attacked her out of fear that she may someday come after my kid!  Who knows how the widow got into the shop...  But we all know hitchhiking can getcha killed...  (giggle)
That's when I started thinking about survival of the fittest...  Would I say that I am "fitter" than that spider?  No.  Especially not right now!  So, is it really survival of the "fittest" or simply of the "biggest"?  I mean, come on!  I outweigh that little spider by...  Well, let's just all admit that we outweigh spiders by however much it is we weigh and leave it at that...  And then I started thinking about how it is when you are little.  In school, with grown-ups, it's all about intimidation by those that are physically larger than we are!  How often do we see a puny bully?  So is that it then?  Am I simply a spider bully?  It does all revert back to that "She wouldn't hurt a fly" saying.  I sure the hell WOULD hurt a fly!  In fact, there is a fly in my house the last few nights that I would love to desecrate!!!  So, what makes us "better" than our insect and arachnid (what's the word I'm looking for?) enemies?  Of course, not everyone finds the multiple limbed creatures enemies, but let's remember that they outnumber us in the (what?) billions?  Again, BLECH!
No matter how you squish 'em, I don't prefer to be the one to kill the bugs and spiders.  It makes me kinda sad when I come into work and find a little baby mouse dead in the trap.  At the end of the day though, if any of those nasty little critters bites, stings, even TOUCHES my kid...  Well, it makes me feel a little less sad, that's for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment