King James Bible
Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.
You see, I was doing a load of dishes and I asked my two girls to "please get the dishes off the table so I can put them in the dishwasher." This was met with my tiny protester yelling "Why do I have to always do all these things that you tell me to!?!?" And I explained to her that if she did not like my rules she is at any time welcome to get a job and move into her own home and live life how she wishes. She is 6. I got a huff and an eye roll but the dishes from the table moved to the counter. Now, I could have gone back and given her a smack for the eye roll. We have a rule about that in our house and it even holds true to myself, because I believe in leading by action. However, I chose to pick my battles with my tiny protester, because while her opinion is important she needs to understand the proper time and place that it is appropriate.
Now some people are not going to like the way I deal with my kids and I'm cool with that. But these are my kids and my house and life is not going to get any easier for them than it is right this minute.
What does that have to do with the verse and what's happening today? Accountability. Responsibility. Respect.
This morning I woke up to new information about certain events in the media and I was angry. I am being told that if I don't show support for criminals, because of the color of their skin, that there is something wrong with my way of thinking. I'm not having any part of it. For me, this is no longer the difference between #blacklivesmatter and #alllivesmatter. This is about respecting authority, following the law and if there is still violence against a particular race, I will stand behind #youmattertome. I cannot erase history, I can only move forward, and since you have no idea where I am from other than what I post to social media, please don't try to tell me how "privileged" my life has been. I have worked hard for who I am and what I have.
The first step is to educate and it should start at home. Educate your child about your history, about where you come from. Educate your child about being respectful to all people regardless what they look like. Educate your family to not blindly follow the crowd, no matter how much you agree with the initial sentiment of what that group is fighting for, always demand to know the end game and the call to action.
History is a funny thing and no matter how much we are screaming to learn from it, we are constantly repeating it.

No comments:
Post a Comment