So, I am a firm believer that even when our loved ones pass on, there is still part of them with us. Maybe not all the time, but usually when we need them most or when we least expect it...
I finally started listening to Christmas music at work today. I can't handle too much Christmas music, it starts to get on my nerves, so I take it in doses... A song came on earlier that prompted this post, and was a song that had never played on my player before. I listen to the same Yahoo! player at home and work, and generally it's set to what they call "Holiday Lounge." The song that brought me to typing? "I'll Be Home For Christmas." Not exactly a song I have never heard before! But it was done by Jackie Gleason, and he didn't sing, he whistled the whole thing! Now, if you are related to me, you may agree that my Grandpa Len looked a bit like Mr. Gleason (and a bit like Fred Flinstone!) and the man whistled day and night!
It dawned on me that we are constantly asking for signs and yet when they are the most obvious we tend to pass them off. Well, I am hearing you loud and clear Grandpa! Last night my Little walked up to me with her sippy cup and clinked (well, a plastic sounding clink) glasses with me. I giggled and said "CHEERS!" And then showed her again what she had done... You see, my Grandpa Len taught me to "cheers." And although he used actual "glass" glasses, which in the beginning were broken during the learning process, I rarely clink a glass without thinking of him. Last night was no different. And I told Little that Great Grandpa Len taught Mommy to do that. She was able to meet Grandpa before he passed, but she was only eight weeks old, hardly old enough to remember that we were able to spend his very last birthday with him.
So when I heard Gleason whistling "I'll Be Home For Christmas" and remembered last night, I knew Grandpa must be around and is just letting me know. When I was little there was never a Christmas spent without seeing him and Grandma.
Merry Christmas Grandpa Len...

No comments:
Post a Comment